30.9.13

Mag Mad - AnOther

And lastly of the reviews is AnOther. (Yep the o is meant to be capital)

AnOther 
Issue - 25th Issue Biannual Autumn/Winter 2013
Price ( I paid) - £12.05
Editor - Jefferson Hack

AnOther magazine is another one I haven’t read before, yet it stood out for me with its cover image and use of unordinary text. Even before noticing any of anything else, there was a lot of advertising fall out from it; they seem to have a lot of free mini zines inside, obviously from advertisers which I personally find quite annoying – I want to read the magazine I’ve bought, not free adverts which generally aren’t that great to look at or read. However after that, I noticed the cover is actually a fold out, with a double page spread advert on the underside taken by Dolce & Gabbana; an obvious expensive space to buy. The title is easy to read and grabs your attention straight away as you look at it. Also I like the serif font used; it provides a contrast between a seemingly old looking font with the modern content inside. I like how they’ve got ‘Magazine’ written perpendicular to the title in smaller font as well, it ads something to quite a simple cover. Simple covers are some of my favourites, just because too much text can be quite cluttered and you get all the same info from the contents inside.

It has an easy contents page to navigate, again quite graphic in its layout and different from the norm. They follow a two-three grid and column format throughout which I like as it’s clearly laid out. I’ve also noticed that the gloss of the pages seems a lot higher than other magazines, but that may just be me but nonetheless it looks nice. I think the general size of the magazine is slightly bigger than A4, again I like because it’s a tad different.  

They don’t use imagery in the typical way other magazines do; some images fill the entire page and others are placed around the page with the white background. Having to make a magazine in my first year of university I’ve learnt you can do this, and it looks quite nice if the imagery speaks for itself. They generally have accessories filling the pages when talking about them and editorial centering the pages. In saying that, they also have editorials towards the end of the magazine that fill the pages, probably because the imagery is quite striking.

Before the beginning of each editorial, they have what reminds me of a mind map page with quotes on, which works quite well to explain the imagery you’re about to see. For a magazine which is meant to be fore both men and women’s fashion, the editorials focus more on women which is of course fine by me because I am one! Generally the editorials I feel are really strong and quite quirky, some of the imagery has been manipulated and is very interesting to look at, so if you haven’t looked at the latest issue I’d definitely have a look if you can find it on a newsstand, as it is quite pricey at over £10.


Overall I feel this is my favourite out of them all just because of the variety and the editorials are done really well and are quite quirky and different to what you see everyday. Out of the three, which would be your fav?

No comments:

Post a Comment