21.5.13

Hermès at The Saatchi Gallery



Today I visited the Hermès exhibition at the The Saatchi gallery. The French brand has come to the UK to offer an insight in the values and craftsmanship of them as a brand. Before I went, I didn't do any research so wasn't aware of what I was going to be getting and I was pleasantly surprised. It features a range of artwork and mini stalls with some of the workers that actually work at Hermès in Paris showing how they create certain iconic garments. To add to the authenticity of it all, each person has a translator which I absolutely loved as I thought it really represented them as a French brand.

The Saatchi have previously hosted the Chanel: Little Black Jacket exhibition there also, so it seems to be becoming a regular affair for this art gallery to be featuring designer brands, but can this be considered art? A lot of people would argue no. but if you saw the craftsmanship that actually goes into making each and every garment or accessorie you'd change your mind. Every single bag from start to finish is made by one person and one person alone which I found so interesting, so if you went into Selfridges say and picked up a Birkin, you'd be holding something one person has personally made. I guess this is what you're paying for as of course they aren't cheap (your standard costing around £5000) but it's amazing to see the intricacy that goes into every stitch and weave. I especially enjoyed watching the diamonds being placed into a bracelet for obvious reasons, diamonds are a girls best friend, and getting to see them under a microscope, if only I could of taken it home! I also didn't know they make ashtrays and getting to see them and the artwork on them is beautiful. So much money to put your fag out in, I know I certainly wouldn't use it for that but purely for decoration as the designs are just so pretty. Each colour has a different number and depending on how high or low it is is when it's goes into the kiln. Being talked through each process was fascinating and gave me more respect for brand because you can see the true quality come through in each piece. A pattern for example being drawn out for a scarf can take up to 6000 hours, wow. Every detail of the gallery room was head to toe Hermès, even the carpet!

The amazing thing about The Saatchi is that of course it is free entry for all. Me being a student this is a plus as some exhibitions I really want to see but the price tag often puts me off.

The exhibition is on from 21st-26th May 2013 so not long at all. I recommend anyone who is a fashion lover get down their asap because it's definitely one to see. If you can't however get there, I've taken a few snaps to give you a feel for the exhibition, enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Hello.
    Thank you for the exhibition guide and so clear photos. I love this event.It inspires me.

    I am an amateur of leatherworking from Ukraine, and enjoy every moment of Hermes maroquinerie artisan's work.
    So I decided to ask you if possible please share any additional photos in any quality of Hermes leatherworkers and their works if you stil have few more.

    Best Regards.
    Ivan.
    ivanminaev@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete